This intro' solo river canoeing program is for those with basic flat-water solo skills. This course will teach the flat water and moving water skills for paddling solo canoes on easy moving water. All equipment will/can be supplied. You are welcome to bring your own PFD and paddle. Participants do need to bring a lunch and a towel and change of clothes, swims do happen occasionally! Rain gear should be brought... only thunder storms chase us off the water. Carpooling to the various sites for the course will be arranged the morning of the course. For the river sessions paddlers should have at least good raingear, and a partial wet or drysuit would be ideal, and a helmet (available from CCC).
The days will start around 9 am. Saturday morning will be spent on flatwater reviewing solo canoe strokes and learning to maneuver the solo boats efficiently. Saturday afternoon will be on the river in easy class 1 or 2, Sunday will be a full day trip down the river.
This program is being run during the 2023 Ceyana Education weekend at the Crimson Lake Provincial Park. The river paddling may be the North Saskatchewan or the Clearwater River
Accommodation Options available are:
1. camping at the group site with the club. To do this you will need to reserve/register for camping on the website in addition to the course. See name and link to camping below or navigate to Programs->Trips to find it
2. Book your own powered RV site or accommodation close by at Crimson Lake Provincial Park campsite, on Reserve.AlbertaParks.ca
Please note we will need help getting the canoes or kayaks to Twin Lakes and back.
Please let us know if you
1. Have your own boat that is appropriate for the course?
2. Can you assist in hauling a club boat or two to Crimson Lake PP and back?
3. Could haul a club trailer (2" ball, flat 4 wiring) to Crimson Lake PP and back
Registration open 20 Feb 2023
Planned Course facilitator : Ulmer, Eugene
if you require additional information or can provide assistance with boats please contact
Eugene <firstname.lastname@example.org> or Leila <email@example.com>